If you missed our screening of Gasland last week, here’s a chance to catch up. Keep in mind that you’re also welcome to borrow the DVD…just email us.
Gasland got many of us thinking about fracking, what’s happening in Michigan, and how to understand what’s happening nationally. Since going to law school, I think in outline form so here’s a quick fracking outline for you:
- Fracking is a pretty big deal…particularly in states like Colorado and Pennsylvania, which were featured in Gasland.
- Biologist Sandra Steingraber posted an article in 2010 that helps put it into perspective
- More recently (i.e. today) Steingraber posted a piece called Breaking Up with the Sierra Club (spoiler: fracking caused the split)
- Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council has done an incredible job explaining fracking — and its Michigan history and status — here at their website (complete with diagrams!)
- Last week, the Detroit Free Press reported that there’s an oil boom going on in the Irish Hills, where some residents are worried oil companies are using fracking technologies and putting water supplies at risk